How Much Does SEO Cost?
If you own a business website you need SEO (see our article; Do I really need SEO), whether you hire an agency or decide to do your own usually depends on one thing ....cost.
Over 60% of a websites traffic comes from search engines, with about 89% of searches coming through Google.
SEO is the optimising of websites to be compliant with the rules that govern how websites are indexed by search engines. Hence Search Engine Optimisation.
If you've read our article on managing your own SEO you'll know that Google use over 200 factors to determine a webpages listing on its search engine results pages (SERPS) if the search terms (keywords) entered in the search bar match some text on a page on your website.
To give your website the best chance of listing highly on SERPS you can:
- Use paid advertising (artificial SEO) to get a space on page 1.
- Optimise your website to make it comply with Google's rules (Organic SEO).
- Use both methods.
Depending on your budget SEO agencies will use a combination of paid advertising to quickly increase visitor numbers and organic SEO techniques to build both page and domain authority slowly and surely giving your website long-term credibility and status.
While basic SEO is something anyone who builds or maintains a website should do, advanced SEO is more complex and involves understanding how search engine algorithms (the rules that govern how pages are indexed) work and familiarity with how the many updates and tweaks to those algorithms affect page indexing.
Have a look at Googles Webmaster Guidelines for an overview of what Google requires.
How Much does SEO cost in the UK? (research from Marcus Miller, Search Engine Land)
- £50-£150 per month — low-end SEO
- £150-£300 per month — mid-range small business SEO
- £300-£500 per month — more competitive mid-range SEO
- £500-£1,000 per month — high-end small business SEO (usually a national business)
- £1,000-£2,000 per month — high-quality for competitive industries
- £2,000 upwards per month — high-value businesses with content-led SEO approach. Typically a national or multi sited business.
Can you pay small money for magic results:
If it's too good to be true it is, if someone offers to do effective SEO for £30 a month they are either overly optimistic (to put it nicely), running a black hat operation (cheating to trick the search engines) or scamming you because you are desperate to get your website working for you.
In practice, what we see is that the general street-level SEO companies tend to work from £300 upwards. Then there are some online small business SEO providers that work from around £50 to £150 per month. These will probally provide basic Organic SEO only.
What We do
Mekatrig is towards the lower end of the price spectrum. As we deal with small business, start-ups and sole traders we concentrate on organic SEO and don't run PPC or artificial campaigns unless you specifically ask us to.
We specialise in affordable web development for small business, start-ups and tradespeople, so we meet a lot of small business people who are operating on a tight budget and realise that for many artificial SEO, the high-end paid for PPC (Pay Per Click) campaigns, are not affordable.
These campaigns do yield results if applied properly, many small businesses have a very tight month to month advertising budget and to be brutally frank you cannot run an effective PPC campaign on the cheap, try to and you end up throwing money away.
We recommend these businesses concentrate on good effective Organic SEO, because:
- 95% of search traffic comes through organic searches
- Website optimised to Search engine rules will rank list higher in SERPS for relevent keywords than un-optimised websites.
- Websites optimised to search engine rules will have greater longevity, holding their SERPS position longer.
Organic SEO works by increasing two key factors.
- Page Authority: How well a page is likely to rank for relevant search terms
- Domain Authority: How well your domain as a whole will rank
As a websites Domain Authority increases it will pull up each individual Pages Authority giving each page a chance higher listings for relevent keywords.
We keep clients costs down by using intelligent, effective, approved SEO techniques (White hat SEO), which build your SERPS rankings on a solid base, not throwing wads of cash, best spent elsewhere, at short-term results which see your place fall as soon as the campaign ends.
If you do not have the budget for an SEO agency then look at our article on Managing your Own SEO to see how to do your own basic organic SEO.